Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Customer service is crucial to the overall environment of the library. It must be taken seriously at all times.
Customer Service Guidelines
Service Guidelines for Student Assistants (The Basics)
- Be approachable - make eye contact, smile and project a positive attitude.
- Show interest: if talking to other staff members, stop immediately to offer assistance to the patron.
- Listen respectfully to the patron’s request, and pay close attention to questions. Ask for additional information if necessary to clarify the patron’s needs.
- Be knowledgeable about your job and provide correct information. If you are unsure about anything, ask a supervisor for assistance. During ‘slow’ times, try to familiarize yourself with library websites, the online catalog, and databases etc.
- Follow up, and confirm that questions have been answered.
- Helping patrons is your most important job. Our goal is to make sure patrons receive the help they need.